Monday 6 February 2012

Masterton - and random rambling abut food

Delayed publishing - this was written on Friday I think.

On the bike again, and having a muserum & internet stop in Masterton. It's quite nice, the museum and i found a booklet on Scandinavian immigrants, that I'm looking very much forward to read in the evening. Cmap sites usually have year old copies og reader's digest and OK! magazine (aussie's answer to se & hor for the Scandinavians)

The towns are quite close to each other here, so I think I'll continue to Greytown before I call it quits for the day. It's only 11 km more, and I have bottle of wine in the pannierbag to keep me going and the camp sites are uausally cheaper and nice in smaller towns. Oh, and the wine is for dinner when I've finished biking, not for drinking while on the bike.
I stocked up big time on food before leaving Napier, but here's lots of wineries and farm shops and I really did not need food for the full week before heading out, there are shops in between Napier and Wellington, and cafes, and bars, and restaurants and pubs and tearooms, so there's no risk of starving. It's really just a matter of how cheap or expensive you're going (self made sandwiches at rest stops on the road side is of course cheaper than the pub meal) and checking the route. I might need packing food for a week somewhere on South Island, and it's good knowing I can do that, but there's really no need to overload when I pass be a zillion road side fruit stands and cosy little country pubs a day, even though I go through quite a lot in just one day. Biking makes you hungry. It makes you happy too though.

No comments: