Friday 17 February 2012

Not a barmaid

Well, I quit my job because the boss yelled and swore at me. And I don't find that acceptable. I'm fine with people telling me how to do a job I'm new in, but I'm not fine with them giving me no instructions whatsoever and then abusing me for not doing what he wanted me to.

In any case, basic HR usually involves letting people now how you would like your business to be run, what the job of new employees involves and how you want that to be done. Then of course a bit is up to personal initiative and experience and such. When someone walks through the door saying "I've done this a long time ago, so I would need some time to get into it again, but I'll give it a good go, if you give me the opportunity" and you employ them, then you do that HR thing particularly well, don't you? Or is that just me?

Anyway, backpackers out there, stand up for yourself, don't take abuse -  and don't take a job at the Irish bar i havelock, it's called Lennys.

And daddy, I may very well need some money - not right now though - but if that's the standard of NZ employers, I hope you agree that standing up for myself  is better than being sworn at by the boss.
I'd like to pay it back, when I get home to Denmark at some point and can get a job where employers actually appreciate your work, cause travelling New Zealand isn't really an essential part of survival.

On the other hand the couple I'm wwoofing for managing my hostel are very nice. They support my decision and we're drinking a good riesling on that tonight.

No comments: